Help in Other Ways
As the AFP has grown, we've found that we need more help. Maybe you already donate food through AFP, but you'd like to do more to help. Take a look at this list and see if there's something you'd enjoy doing. Then contact us and let us know how you'd like to help.
- Tabling. A great way to meet new people. Help us set up a table at one of Ashland's supermarkets. Then have fun chatting with passersby, thanking current AFP members and signing up new ones. (It really works! In fact, it's our most effective way of getting new members.) We'll supply all the materials and teach you how to do it. We usually work in 2-hour shifts.
- Helping at the Food Bank. On Pickup Day, dozens of volunteers pitch in at the Food Bank, accepting, sorting and stocking the food delivered by the AFP. It's an exciting, celebratory atmosphere. Volunteers generally work in 2- or 3-hour shifts. Pickup Day is the 2nd Saturday of each even month.
- Canvassing. Every once in a while, we organize a group-canvassing effort in a particular area of town, to expand our Food Donor base. Don't worry if you've never knocked on doors before; we'll team you with an experienced canvasser …so you'll have fun with a partner while you learn. It's an important way to keep the AFP growing!
- Special Events. Got a few hours to spare? We can always use help with events …from the 4th of July parade to a potluck dinner. There are plenty of different jobs available for every event. And if you like planning events …well, have we got a job for YOU!
- Emergency Pick Ups. Every once in a while a Neighborhood Coordinator gets ill, is out of town, or just plain needs assistance on Pickup Day. So we need a list of people we can call on to pick up food in a pinch. (You need to have a vehicle for this.)
- Sharing Skills. Got a special skill or interest you'd like to share? We can probably use it! Writing, editing, web site or data management, bookkeeping, photography …you name it. Just let us know what you can (or would like to). We'll find a place for it!
Next Pickup Day: Saturday, December 14
Please drop off donations between 9:30 AM and 1:30 PM
Most Needed Items:
Other Non-Perishable Food
Canned: Meat (including Tuna), Fruit, Beans, & Vegetables (including
Dried Beans, including Pinto
Rice: Brown & Long Grain
Milk: Soy, Rice & Canned
Textured Vegetable Protein
Side Dishes (Hamburger Helper, Rice-a-Roni, etc.)
Especially for Seniors
Ready made jell-o & pudding
Ensure® protein drinks
Low-sodium Pull-tab Soups
Low-sodium Single-Serving Meals
Green Tea (regular and decaf)
Toothpaste & Toothbrushes
Body Soap - bar & liquid